History of 521 West Street
The original portion of this building was constructed around 1850 by Elizabeth Grubb of a prominent lumber and mill working family. It is not known if Elizabeth ever resided at 521 West. She did reside at 805 West and began buying properties in the area during the 1850’s, after the death of her husband.
The federal-Greek revival building was renovated in the Victorian style of the 1890s. Additions were added to the back as well as a veranda and the second floor box oriel window. Of particular note is the radial wall of the original 1850s structure.
521 West Street is now home to multiple attorneys, including the Law Office of Bayard Marin. The historic building also houses the Quaker Hill Historic Preservation Foundation, which works to preserve the historic buildings of the area..